Friday, June 29, 2012

Heading Inland... and Avoiding the RVs !

June 28

I had originally been planning on riding up the Pacific Coast to Seattle, but frankly I’ve had it with the traffic.  In Fort Bragg a bartender at the brew pub (always a great source of tourist information) had suggested a road through the mountains to me that was guaranteed “spectacular and with almost no traffic”.  Fortunately, he was right.  


I got some spectacular views of Mt. Shasta 





As well as of the Trinity River


On the way I also spent a night in Weaverville, an interesting old gold mining town.
One incredible stretch of road in Northern California is known as the Avenue of the Giants.



It is 32 miles through the giant redwood forests.  Really worth getting off the highway. 




Just before leaving California I hit another milestone:  I’ve ridden seven thousand miles on this trip.  And to think I’m not even half done! 




I ended the day in Ashland, Oregon, where I plan on spending a few days immersed in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and other theatrical pursuits.
  Oregon Shakespeare Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment