Thursday, June 28, 2012

San Francisco Here I Come…Right Back Where I Started From

June 23


From Santa Cruz I headed up to the San Francisco Bay area.  Just north of SF I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge.  No matter how long I have been away (and it's been since 1984), it always feels like I’m going home when I cross this bridge. 
I lived more than 20 years in the Bay Area, starting with going to college at Berkeley.  For eight of those years I lived in Sausalito (Marin County) just north of the golden Gate Bridge.  I made a quick stop in Sausalito to visit the houseboat that I had owned, and it was still there.  The only difference was that the prices had gone up so much (in the 80s it was a rather economical way of life) that I doubt that I could afford it today.  But, oh to dream (and to remember)! 


From there it was across the San Rafael – Richmond Bridge to stay with my friend Flory in Richmond.  We’ve been friends for more than thirty years, and coincidently she lives about 10 minutes away from my daughter Kim (who lives on a sailboat at Point Richmond), so it was really convenient… as well as really nice to catch up.
I spent the next two days visiting with Flory, her daughter Justine, and her boyfriend Les and with Kim, her husband Brad, and my new grandson Henry. 



Henry is three months old, and while we didn’t have a lot of deep conversations we certainly made a connection! 




After a couple of days in the Bay Area, it was back on the road… still heading north.  The Sonoma and Mendocino coastlines are really spectacular.  There were wildflowers everywhere (and, dammit… hayfever!) and spectacular views. 



June 25 - 28
I have been feeling really guilty about writing this blog… or more realistically not writing it.  I’m more than a month behind and I keep getting “where is Steve” memos from friends, family, and fans (OK, from friends and family).  I guess I need to at least get the blog out of Mexico.

I decided to hole up for a few days and begin to catch up, but I had a few requirements for my writing retreat:  I wanted an ocean view, a balcony or patio, a fireplace, and a jacuzzi.  Not too much to ask for, right?  Anyway, I found the place (and busted my budget) in Fort Bragg and stayed for three nights.  Just to make it interesting, there was also a great brew pub, some good restaurants, and a coffee house with live music nightly.  I’m still a month behind, but I’m getting there! 

Please let me know that someone is actually reading this !!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment