Friday, June 1, 2012

Xilitla: Strange gardens and Mermaids

May 30 - June 1

From Pachuca I headed to the small village of Xilitla (pron: Shi-lit-la).  Getting here was a tough day of riding, particularly given my fear of heights.  The road was 200 km of steep mountains, with tight curves and switch-backs about every 18 inches.  The road dropped some 2000 feet on either side.  I've heard that it is quite beautiful scenery, but I couldn't look to either side of the road for the entire ride!




On occasion, however, there were some flat spots filled with giant cactus (cactusses?  cacti?  You choose)











In Xilitla I stayed at the Hostal del Cafe, a very nice small hotel with a beautiful garden.  I heard the owner, Alejandro, speaking Catalan to someone and, surprising him that I even recognized it, we became instant buddies.  It didn't hurt that I shared some Cuban cigars while he provided the beer in the afternoon.



My purpose in going off the main road to Xilitla was to see "Las Pozos", a surreal fantasy of a sculpture garden built in the 1960s by an eccentric rich Englishman (OK, that's redundant) named Edward James. 












The place is about 40 hectares of sculptures, staircases, doorways to nowhere, symbols from everything ranging from Hindu to Masonic, concrete flowers, and anything else you can think of.













I'm sure that one part of the garden must have been the inspiration for the moving stairways at Hogwarts (If you don't understand the Harry Potter reference ask a kid).









After visiting Las Pozos, I was walking around some cabins and came across what I am sure must have been three Sirens from Greek mythology. 



Like the sirens of old, they attempted to lure me into dangerous waters, which would undoubtedly lead to my untimely demise.  "Oh no", said I.  "I will not be lured by these lovely but dangerous creatures who are attempting to get me to go with them to the magic waterfall".  But then, beautiful women being much stronger than rational thought, I said "what the hell" and succumbed to their charms.





So off to the waterfall we went, cavorting and carousing in its healing fluids until, alas, the hour struck two and the magical mermaids had to return to their lair (ok, they had to go back to class).


Hey... it's my fantasy.  I can tell it any way I want !



No comments:

Post a Comment